Video Editing Suites
The Library Commons features two video editing suites that can be used to capture from tape (digital or analogue), edit video, and output to tape, CD or DVD. These Macintosh stations with iMovie software are located on the third floor of the Library in the Library Commons. They are to be used by VIU Students and employees only, and exclusively for educational purposes.
Analog and digital video cameras are available for loan to VIU students and employees through the VIU Library's Equipment Loans department.
Booking a Video Editing Suite
- The video editing suites may be booked for up to 3 hours per day by VIU Students and employees.
- Request a suite booking online using our suite booking site.
- Pick up the keys to your booked suite at the Library Service Desk just prior to your booking time. Remember to bring your Student or Employee ID card!
- The suites are available during Library hours, ending one half-hour before Library closing time--during fall and spring sessions: Mon.-Thurs. 8am-9:30pm; Fri. 8am-4:30pm; Sat.-Sun. 12-4:30pm.
- You may not book the suite for any other purpose than video editing.
- Book well in advance to ensure access to a suite.
Important information about using the Video Editing Suites
- To use the Video Editing workstation, you will need to log in using your existing VIU Discovery account.
- When you are finished using the suite, log out of your account, lock the suite door and return the key to the Library Service Desk. If you are the last one using the suite at the end of the day, click on the “Sleep” icon on the computer screen when you log out, and turn off the main power switch (marked with a red arrow.)
- Media project files are not backed up by Vancouver Island University. You are responsible for making backup copies of your own project files. See the guide to "Sharing Your Video (exporting)" for instructions on backing up your files to DVD.
- Project files will be deleted 30 days after the last time they were worked on.
- Assistance: The Video Editing Suites are a self-service facility, meaning that users must be prepared to complete the majority of their projects independently. If you have problems using the equipment or software, consult the print instructions available in the suite. If you need help, ask at the Library Service Desk or Reference Desk – library staff will contact a media technician for you. Media technicians are available Monday-Friday, 9am - 4:30pm.
- If you plan to distribute your video, you will need permission from the subjects featured in it, e.g. by having the subjects sign a waiver.
The video editing suite computers run the Macintosh OS X operating sytem and do not have Microsoft Office software installed. These stations are only for video editing.
These stations have the following software installed:
- iMovie 5 (for capturing and editing your videos)
- iDVD 5 (for creating DVDs of your video projects)
- Quicktime Pro (for converting video from one format to another)